Coronavirus Update: March 14, 2020
Dear Lakewood Family,
I pray that you are enjoying the weekend and are resting in the sovereignty of our God, even in the middle of what feels like a worldwide panic over the Covid-19 Coronavirus pandemic.
As you know, I consulted the deacons earlier this week and we made the decision to try to hold our Sunday morning services. However, events have worsened since our earlier discussions, and thus we unanimously decided to cancel all Lakewood activities for an indeterminate number of weeks.
A few events have taken place that make this seem like the most responsible decision:
- The governor requested that churches consider canceling services to limit the number of personal contacts people had with the contagion.
- Many churches in our area have canceled their services to comply with the governor’s request and in order to protect the most vulnerable in their midst. Clifton Baptist Church, Immanuel Baptist Church, Highview Baptist Church, and Third Avenue Baptist Church are all moving to online options for their weekend services.
- Schools are closing. Jefferson County Public School officials have announced that JCPS schools will close beginning this Monday until April 6.
I have spoken to many pastors, leaders, and many of you as well. I agree that Christians should not be afraid of these events in general nor this virus in particular (2 Tim. 1:7; Phil. 1:21).
Still, in order to love our neighbors well, we have made the decision to join the efforts of others to minimize contact between people in order to slow the spread of this virus and “flatten the curve” of the pandemic.
We are canceling because we believe it is better for us to be a part of the requested response to this virus that could be serious for the most vulnerable, and could ultimately put more people at risk by creating a severe and sudden spike in demand on our health care system.
Since all of our activities will be canceled for an indeterminate amount of time, how will Lakewood continue her mission to make disciples?
- Pastor Jeremy will be releasing videos on Sundays and Wednesdays. This Sunday evening, Pastor Jeremy will release a video bible study walking through Romans as he does on Sunday evenings. Everyone subscribed to the email list will receive a link to the video, and a similar link will be posted either on Facebook or here, on our website. You can comment or ask questions as you wish. Also, this Wednesday, Pastor Jeremy will be recording a special Worldview Wednesday on The Christian Worldview and Pandemic. The focus will be on how Christians should respond to this situation in a way that glorifies God and helps others.
- Email correspondence and Facebook posting will be more frequent during this time. Please reply or make comments to let us know how you are doing. Be intentional about your communication with members of your Home Group/Sunday School Class. Let’s care for each other well during this temporary absence.
- The Deacons will be checking on families frequently during these days. Let them know your needs, and how we as a church can help you.
- Online giving is set up on our website. If you can give through that means, we are ready to process that. If you would rather mail your offering in, feel free to do so. We will gather a few tellers to count those gifts later next week.
I am so thankful for Lakewood Baptist Church. Sunday mornings with you all is the high point in my week. I hate it that we have to do this, but I deeply believe it is the right thing to do. I understand many of you may disagree, but please know that I truly want what is best for our church. I also want our church to be an example of loving our neighbors, and this seems to be the best way we can do so right now. If you want more COVID-19 response information, I have provided links that aided in our decision at the bottom of the page. Also, there is a contact form attached. If you have questions, let us know.
Take heart. Our God reigns.